Thursday 25 July 2013

Health Benefits of Almonds

Recently I have become ADDICTED to nuts!!!!! Namely, Almonds!

You can pick up a packet of what must be hundreds at Woolies. And they have become such a healthy snack alternative for me throughout the day. After reading Jessica Alba's health book, reviewed on my blog in an earlier post, I have been limiting the amount of refined sugar in my diet. As I am growing up and am almost a full adult now (haha... What?) my mum passed down one of the tricks of her trade to me in a quiet conversation about becoming a housewife (which I secretly hope is very soon!!!!). She said 'Katrina, in your diet you can allow yourself one square of chocolate per shirt you iron' - hahahaha. That was her little trick to encourage and motivate herself to get the ironing done as a you g newlywed! How funny is that!

Anyway I have found this has greatly limited my sugar cravings as chocolate must have been triggering them quite substantially for me. Because I do little to zero ironing haha you can see I haven't been eating much chocolate haha! And chocolate was my number one source of refined sugar in my diet. It has been a great health move for me haha wise mum wise.

So I have been substituting my chocolate intake for ALMONDS- glorious almonds! I have become somewhat addicted! Everyday this week for lunch I have had a mandarin and a handful of almonds... Yum!

I thought I would do some research into the benefits of almonds and came across the following:
1.  Almonds strengthen bones- woohoo no limbs will be falling off Katrina anytime soon!
2. They assist brain function; increase alertness and just general brain performance
3. They nourish the nervous system which helps improve clarity of thought, longevity and again strengthens brain function

So all in all, almonds were a much better choice than chocolate to begin with!!

No comments:

Post a Comment